Possible side effects of Zithromax
Like all medicines, even a single dose of Zithromax can trigger side effects, some of which may include:
- Mucocutaneous effects: allergic skin rash, photosensitivity, pain in the joints, hives, itching, edema and generalized allergic reactions. Rare cases of severe skin reactions have been reported.
- Digestive side effects: nausea, vomiting, indigestion, diarrhea (rarely severe), abdominal pain, pancreatitis (pancreas disease).
- Hepatic effects: increased liver enzymes (reversible when treatment is stopped); severe liver damage in extremely rare cases.
- Neurological effects: dizziness; rare cases of convulsions.
- Blood effects: Isolated cases of abnormally low levels of platelets.
- Psychiatric: rare cases of aggressive behavior, nervousness, restlessness, and anxiety.
- Genital effects: inflammation of the vagina.
- Auditory effects: rare cases of hearing impairment with whistling, ringing in the ears or deafness.
- General effects: fungal infections.